1) Use a rice cooker or sauce pan to prepare rice per directions on package. I use 2.5 cups warm water mixed with 2 teaspoons refrigerated stock base and add it to a rice cooker along with 1 cup uncooked black rice, but rice cookers may differ.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3) While rice is cooking, wash sweet potatoes and dice with skin on. In a bowl, toss them with a tablespoon or less of oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread potatoes out on a roasting pan and cook on a high rack near the heating element to encourage browning. Keep an eye on them and adjust the rack so they can cook and brown simultaneously without burning. Cook until tender and golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
4) If using beets, prepare them by washing and cutting the ends flat. Set each beet on a large square of foil and drizzle with oil along with salt and pepper. Place foil-wrapped beets in 400-degree oven. Roast until a knife slices through beets easily, about an hour. Beets can be cooked beforehand and kept in the refrigerator until you want to use them. Once beets are soft and cooked through, remove the skin by rubbing a paper towel over beets while still inside the foil. Dice in 1/4-inch pieces by slicing the beets lengthwise and then widthwise inside foil. Keeping the beet mess contained in the foil, remove the cut beets and toss the foil.
5) While vegetables are roasting, dice the green onions. Combine the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a jar or bowl. Toast almonds, if not already toasted, by adding them to a hot skillet and browning until golden.
6) Combine all ingredients together in a skillet except almonds. Toss and heat. Add toasted almonds. Serve as a rice bowl or a side. Enjoy!