1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat two 12-cup muffin tins with cooking spray. Prepare the cream cheese filling and set aside.
2) In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
3) In a large bowl, mix together the pure maple syrup/raw honey mix, applesauce or ripe banana, eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla until well combined with an electric mixer. Gently fold in the flour and buttermilk or kefir in two alternating batches. Do not overmix.
4) Using a standard ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup with batter. Dollop each cup of pumpkin batter with 1 heaping spoon of the cream cheese filling mixture. Using a toothpick, swirl the batter and filling together in each muffin to spread filling through the muffin and give it a swirl appearance.
5) Bake for about 12 - 18 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool and for a few minutes and then enjoy!
Cream Cheese Filling Directions
1) Mix cream cheese and maple syrup or powdered sugar together with a fork or wire whisk.