Sweet & Salty Chickpeas Directions
1) Drain and rinse the chickpeas, removing the loose skins. Lay them out on a towel to dry out for about 20 minutes while oven heats to 400 degrees.
2) Pour the chickpeas out on a large baking pan to create a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through.
3) After 20 minutes, remove from oven, pour hot chickpeas in a mixing bowl, toss with honey, sprinkle with sea salt, and add oil if you are not using a oil mister or a natural nonstick spray. (Spraying the chickpeas as directed in the next step results in a crispier chickpea but adding oil here works too.)
4) Pour back on baking pan and spray with oil mister or natural cooking spray. Bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely to crisp. Yum!
5) For a more savory snack, skip the sweetener, spray with oil mister or natural cooking spray, and sprinkle sea salt and/or other seasonings of your choice over chickpeas. Shake the pan a few times to distribute the salt and seasonings. Return to oven for another 10 – 15 minutes. You will know they are ready when you can no longer smash one with the back of a spoon. They should crack instead.
6) If using spices other than salt, remove from oven and pour back into the spice bowl and once again, toss to coat. When they have cooled enough to eat, enjoy. Store any leftovers in airtight container.