1) Heat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare two sheet pans with a lip with silicon baking mats, parchment paper, or foil.
2) Cut off stem and slice fairytale eggplants into dowels or circles. Slice red onion in thicker slices about an inch long. Chop red bell pepper into 1/4 inch thick slices and then cut all those in half.
3) Toss eggplant pieces, red onions, red peppers, and tomatoes (or whatever vegetables you're using) with 1 tablespoon each olive oil and balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
4) Spread coated vegetables onto two sheet pans so vegetables are in a single layer. Place sheet pans in preheated oven to roast for about 15 minutes or until tender and slightly charred. Sometimes I'll finish the vegetables with a quick broil for a little more browning, but it's not necessary.
5) Cook 1 cup of quinoa (or other whole grain) in 2 cups of boiling water. Mixed 2 teaspoons of vegetable stock with water if desired (optional). Cook for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water has evaporated.
6) Mix roasted vegetable and cooked quinoa together in a mixing bowl. Finish with 1 more tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold. I prefer it warm.